Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Feng Shui...Meet Vastu Shastra



I have studied feng shui (the Art of Placement) for many years. Feng shui is actually way more complex than this simple description for it is an enormous body of knowledge, especially Compass Feng Shui and all it's many offshoots. I still consider myself a novice and a humble student, even after all the books I've studied, the classes I've taken with feng shui masters, and my many experiences resulting from feng shui experiments.

Last year I was introduced to a book titled, "Altars of Power and Grace" by Robin and Michael Mastro. On the back cover, the authors tout, "Transform Your Life...Through the Sacred Power of Altars." Since I've always created multiple altars throughout our home, I was eager to experiment with this Indian method called Vastu Shastra. The authors stated that "Vastu, an ancient science from India, was the original teaching on which Feng Shui is based." This statement caught my attention being the perpetual student of Feng Shui that I am, and I promptly began erecting altars using the suggestions in the book.

To begin I made a beautiful Prosperity and Abundance Altar in the North section of our home against a wall near the door. Eventually I put together eight artistic altars per the book's directions. Our home now has an energetic mix of two sacred sciences: feng shui and vastu shastra! Would these two work together harmoniously for our well-being? Or would they cancel each other out? Thus far, the weaving hasn't produced any MAJOR disharmony, although we still have our share of challenges...so the studies and experiments continue.

Being a big fan of Lillian Too, I often check up on updates at her various sites, discover new products, etc. The other day I checked out one, and there was an article on wealth. Underneath the title of wealth, I read, "Create Your Own Ship of Abundance." This sounded like fun, and so I went shopping for a decorative sailing vessel as pictured on the page. I looked everywhere, but alas, I couldn't find such a item until my daughter suggested a toy store. The toy store would be my last stop I told myself, and if I couldn't find a sailing ship there, I would give my creative urge a rest. Luckily for me with the successful Pirates of the Caribbean movie sequel doing great box-office, I discovered a selection of sailing ships merchandise. Carefully avoiding the ships offered for sale with cannons per the direction on Wofs.com, I selected a box of ships (a really good deal--for not only did the box contain 1 Bonus ship but 6 more wee ships) which I could put together and decorate with gemstones and other items suggested in the wealth article. Rather than purchase the pricey high-end ship offered for sale on the website and await my order in the mail, now I had 7 ships which cost me only $12.99 plus tax. I felt elated about my bargain until I accidentally crazy-glued my fingers to my wealth ship and had quite a challenge separating them!

After coming un-glued, I finally installed my loaded-down-with-gemstones-and-money feng shui sailing ship on my Vastu altar. I will shout it to the high heavens should the results of my latest experiment call forth my real-time wealth ship to sail in to our harbor!

1 comment:

Pamela J Weatherill said...

Neat site! Check out my feng sui board (well the part I could fit in the pic!) I made for a successful year this year ... it was a really fun way to apply the knowledge too! (www.newcenturynotebook.blogspot.com)