Monday, February 26, 2007

Birthday Party For This Blog--100th Post


My previous posting of Feb. 21st was my 100th posting on this blog. So I decided to throw a Birthday Party for The Art of Living and Dying Blog! Come one--come all. Pull up a tatami mat, some cushy pillows, or maybe a beach towel. We'll enjoy some tasty organic food and drink....and celebrate this blog! And listen up to my early morning reflections:

I awoke early this morning knowing I had to make some changes with my blogging habit, my blogging sidebars, and the amount of time I invest in my blogs. I counted up the number of posts I've made on my MAJOR blogs (not even counting my minor blogs), and I've made 1,029 posts! My partner guestimates I've been investing at the minimum 4 hours daily. That's a lot of work, a lot of writing, and a lot of time spent when I could be doing other important things. I asked myself why I have invested so much energy into blogging! Has it been worth it? Certainly it hasn't paid off in the form of financial income! Sure, I've made new friends. Hopefully, I've written something of some value to somebody somewhere. And yet, the feedback is sometimes very small, and I feel transformation is afoot. Something new is on it's way--I can feel it.

I began by deleting useless clutter on my sidebar--such as the Zoomclouds which I had added sometime back to my 10 blogs. However, they slowed down the loading time of my blogs, and I decided it was time to let them go. I also rid myself of extraneous blog rings which never bring me any readers...and so on and so forth. I already feel much lighter! Out with the old & in with the new! Simplicity is my motto from here on out. I have more stuff I can probably delete as well. I'm in a process of a mini-death for my blogs. This doesn't come without much sadness on my part because I've invested so much time, energy, and love in them. It is said that when a door closes the windows open. We shall see what these windows will be.

"Employ the power of positive quitting. Most of us view quitting as something
negative, but it’s not. ‘Winners never quit,’ we’re told, when, in reality,
winners quit all the time: choosing to stop doing things that aren’t creating
the results they desire. When you quit all the things that aren’t working for
you, when you quit tolerating all the negative things that hold you back, you’ll
create a positive ‘charge’ in your life as well as create the space in your life for more positive experiences."

-- Jim Allen


"I like thinking of possibilities. At any time, an entirely new possibility is
liable to come along and spin you off in an entirely new direction. The trick,
I've learned, is to be awake to the moment."

-- Doug Hall

Those two quotes speak to me, and thus, I am reviewing and reconsidering. Where do I want to go with my blogging-self? How much time do I wish to invest on a daily basis? Do my blogs matter at all? I'm staying awake (as the quote above states) and listening to what my new direction is. Maybe I'll simply post less. Maybe rarely. Maybe whenever the urge to scratch the itch strikes me as I need to express an inner truth relevant to each blog.

Recently Leanne , the creator of Thursday Thirteen, handed her blog over to two others and stepped down from managing this blog meme. At first I was sad that Thursday Thirteen was changing, and I felt the TWINGE of an era ending! However, this twinge made me think about what I am doing with my creative energies. Leanne will be concentrating on her art which made me consider perhaps it's time for me to resume working on my manuscripts as well. Maybe my books will stand the test of time, create a financial gain for me, and ultimately serve me better than blogging.

In any event, let's toast The Art of Living and Dying with our glass of sparkling cider today--Hip Hip Hooray! TAOLAD--you crone--you've made it to 100! Good job!

Technorati Tags:, 100th post,,

2 comments:

Michael K. Willis said...

Happy Birthday :-) Blogging can take precious time away from other writing...but that said, it can also light a spark that will catch fire in those other writing endeavors (that's been my experience after taking a step back to better learn how to balance my blogging time with my other writing.) Good journey in your future writing endeavors however and wherever they express themselves!

Obsidian Kitten said...

Congratulations on your blogibirthday!

And a great post on blogging, writing, inspiration, and creativity.

I used to journal a lot, and had stopped writing for the most part. Blogging has really rekindled my writing.

So here's to good karma in all your creative pursuits, online and off!