Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cats on Tuesday--Youth & Maturity


When Anela (my mature cat) was young, she was full of kitten-ish curiosity, but now she has slowed down and is no longer straining at the leash--so to speak. Recently we had a strange visitation from a wild cat at our home. This is what happened:

Anela was curled up and sleeping on her favorite dragon rug (as posted about in another Cats On Tuesday post) in front of a large panel of windows and sliding glass doors. Our couch faced these windows/doors as well as our large screen television set, so my partner and I hadn't noticed that a feral/wild cat had climbed up Anela's ladder to the second floor deck outside these windows. We were watching television when suddenly this feral cat jumped upon the window right near where Anela was sleeping and made a ferocious sound. The three of us were all startled by this sudden noise and bizarre antic by this cat. Was this cat trying to get Anela's attention? It certainly seemed so! In the old days Anela would have leaped up and rushed to the window. But not anymore! Instead she casually moved to the window, looked outside and saw nothing for the wild cat had already taken off, poked her head outside her cat door, and returned to her position on the rug.

She could sing the famous song "Memory" from the Broadway musical "Cats" these days:

"Daylight
See the dew on the sunflower
And a rose that is fading
Roses whither away
Like the sunflower
I yearn to turn my face to the dawn
I am waiting for the day . . .

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every streetlamp
Seems to beat a fatalistic warning
Someone mutters
And the streetlamp gutters
And soon it will be morning

Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I musn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin

Burnt out ends of smoky days
The stale cold smell of morning
The streetlamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning

Touch me
It's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
If you touch me
You'll understand what happiness is

Look
A new day has begun."

9 comments:

Celeste said...

They are beautiful babies~

srp said...

How adorable the kittens were and how beautiful Anela is now. Does she still walk on a leash? I tried to train our kittens to do so and even when very young, their response was to lie down. No luck there.

Luna said...

LoL this is a good story!
Remember to come to my party, April 15.

●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ●๋: Luna ●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´ ●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋:

damozel said...

I ADORE the name of your blog and the banzai tree banner at the top. Did you paint it yourself? It's gorgeous.

Kitties on a leash! I can't imagine how you do it. It sounds as if your kitties have the ideal life for cats in Maui (lucky them).

FelineFrisky said...

What lovely darlings!

Anelia is just gotten "laid Back" in her maturity! LOL D :)

Luna said...

The nice kittys with their leash, sooo sweet.

Luna said...

So beautifull, your kittys on the leash. I put the leash on luna as she was young and she tolerate it.
have a nice day :-)

meeyauw said...

The kittens look like tiny little wild creatures! I would love to have seen that! Anela has grown up to be very regal and she knows how powerful she is! She doesn't need to react as if she were a young one anymore! See you next week, Anela!

Puss-in-Boots said...

What beautiful cats, Kuanyin. Maybe the feral cat was jealous and wanted some of the pampering.

The song "Memory" is one of my all time favourites. I have seen the show twice and also have it on video. The second time I went to see the show, I took my two granddaughters who were eight and 10 at the time and they loved it. So much so, they had to watch the video when we got home.