Sunday, June 24, 2007

Even Death is Going Green


I picked up a People magazine this week with the headline of the "Hottest Bachelors", but it wasn't the sexy guys featured inside that caught my attention, it was the fascinating article, "Dust to Dust--Goodbye, metal casket; hello, biodegradable box: The American way of death is going green" by Eileen Finan.

Dr. Billy Campbell and wife Kimberley (unoficially) began the green burial movement in America when they turned their land into the seventy acre Ramsey Creek Cemetery in South Carolina. At Ramsey Creek, everything is natural with the graves being hand dug with shovels, the headstones fashioned from local feldstone, and the caskets crafted from local pine. Quoting the magazine article, "It looks more like a nature preserve than a conventional cemetery."

The costs of funerals are a lot lower with green burials with much of the savings due to non-metal, inexpensive caskets and stone headstones or tree markers.

Here's some links for more reading:

Ramsey Creek Preserve

Green Burial

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

Amazing, being burried the old fashioned way.

I've tagged you for a Birthday Meme, plese go to my site for the rules.

Mom Unplugged said...

I heard about this on Fresh Air one time. Really interesting!

Apparently even cremation pollutes (I had not thought of that before). Sounds like a nicer way to be buried to me.

I would just like to biodegrade and grow into a tree or a flower!

latt├ęgirl said...

I am interested in the Green Burial. I will follow the link now.

romancingthecrone said...

Adding your link next time I log-in. Lovin' the energy, intent and purpose here. I'm all for green burials. It's the way to go. (Pun intended.) Abundant Blessings, MW