Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cats On Tuesday


This past year we had a mango tree which kept producing an incredible harvest of magnificent mangoes. There were so many mangoes constantly falling from this 'giving tree' that we attracted a large fruit rat which chomped on many of them. We didn't care because there were more than enough mangoes to go around. After the mango season was over, we wondered what happened to our fruit rat. This past week, we found out.

Anela presented us her gift of a very bloody mess of a formerly fat fruit rat on our outside carpet near our sliding door. My partner saw it first, and since I'm normally the one who cleans up after Anela, it would have been my job to clean this mess up. However, since I've been ill, the job fell upon my partner's shoulders, and he wasn't at all happy about the clean-up. However, Anela I'm sure felt very proud of herself because this rat was a BIG one, and she had accomplished her kill. We praised her. She's still got a lot of good 'mouser' in her even though she's growing older!

10 comments:

TorAa said...

Anela is very brave - and waited until the rat grew very juicy from all the mangos ;))

Gattina said...

I would like to say "poor rat" because I find rats cute but of course it's the cat's instinct to kill them. We always try to save little mice when Pookie brings them in and mostly alive !! Rosie is just an adorable little cat now I had never had a cat like her she is so affectionated and sweet and has a very good character. She also is very careful and intelligent. I was really lucky with my choice ! You never know what becomes a cute little kitten once grown up.

Mom Unplugged said...

That must have been quite the battle for Miss Anela. (I'm glad you didn't post a photo of the end result!)

MoMo said...

Hi I'm MoMo. This is my first visit to your blog. It's nice meeting you. You have some very lovely photos. Hope you feel better soon. Like Anela, I am old but I'm still a good mouser!

Gretchen said...

Oh, good job Anela!
I'm sorry to hear your sick, and hope you feel better soon.

Suzanne R said...

Anela was presenting you with a gift -- at least, I'm pretty sure that's how she saw it. ;-) I'm sorry you've been sick -- I hope you get better quickly!

Dragonheart said...

Anela, you are a great hunter! I am very impressed! :) I have never seen a real, live rodent, so I don't know what I would do if I encountered one.

Tink said...

Nothing wrong with Anela's instinct! And of course she presented you her trophy! ;-)

katztales said...

Anela is obviously a Great Hunter - which is wonderful if you're a cat, and not so nice if you're a mouse!

Scoop always killed monstrously huge cane rats very quickly but we've managed to rescue a few smaller ones from Au.

I love pet rats so their country cousins always rouse pity in me when they're cornered by mousers.

Maybe you can persuade Anela to catch and release???

Andrée said...

ewwwww
I was lucky: the guy who mows my yard has been picking up the big messes the cats leave. I "accidentally forget" to pick them up. He doesn't even charge more for the pleasure. I'm a BIT late. But am finally feeling better. I hope you are, also.