Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cats On Tuesday--Anela and the Ants

In the tropics, bugs are abundant and often challenging if they invade your home. My partner detests bugs, ants, and spiders, so we have our home sprayed quite often by a company, both inside and out. And yet, the resilient ants always return--despite the ant traps and spraying.

The only wet food Anela gets served is for breakfast, and most often, she doesn't finish her bowl of food, so it attracts ants. If I haven't gotten to the bowl by morning, lots of ants are swarming it. I don't even know where these ants come from--it's as if they teleported into the bowl of cat food!

Anela likes variety, and so this breakfast bowl is often placed at different locations. She directs my partner to put it in these different places by her meows. And he follows her orders. So yesterday, he placed her bowl on her favorite rug, a thick, wool Tibetan rug with a double-dragon design. You might have noticed it in prior photos I've posted of Anela. This is the rug where she hangs-out and sleeps most often.

As I was whizzing by in the afternoon, I noticed Anela on her rug with her bowl of old breakfast food which was covered with tiny black ants. If I had a camera for the disgusted look she gave me at that moment, the photo would have been priceless. But Anela didn't even raise her head, she just laid there watching the ants eat her food. Of course, I grabbed the bowl and washed it as soon as I sized-up the situation. Bye-bye little ants! I don't like killing them, but whatcha gonna do?! And such is life with Anela and the ants.

9 comments:

Luna Germany said...

Eeeeh.. poor Anela,this is terrible. I can imagine,we had years ago an ant invasion in our old house. You can nothing else do than to kill the ants. And I think it is good that you have no photo ;-)
Have a nice day !

Mom Unplugged said...

How funny that Anela was just watching those ants eat her food! Poor Anela. It was a good thing they didn't carry her off too!

(I hope you are well on your way to complete recovery now.)

Gattina said...

Anela is the first cat in my life who watches ants in her food bowl, lol ! Pookie too likes watching them but she prefers spiders the bigger the better. As I hate spiders I leave her in their company and close the door, after some rumbling around when I open the door again, the spider (s) has disappeared and Pookie cleans her mouth. Rosie has discovered her first ants and put a paw on them and was surprised that the ant came out again so she did it again etc etc, lol the others just don't care. And Lisa anyway is only interested in food WITHOUT ants !

Tink said...

My cats like to play with everything that moves, including insects...
Thanks for visiting my COT today!

Deana said...

Poor Anela, I'd be disgusted too. How funny they know that ants on food=nasty! Those little ants are such a pain to get rid of!

Andrée said...

EWWWWWWWW
I'm glad I live here where it's so freezing cold now that nothing like that is about! I don't blame him for not liking them around. Anela has such good parents!

Dragonheart said...

Anela, you have your humans very well trained! My food is put in the same place every day. You are lucky that your humans listen to your desires!

claudie said...

It's the first time i hear a cat choose the place where it wants eating!!! Ha! Ha! It's so funny to hear that! Anela you will become a famous cat!

Radcliff, Allie, Luna & Ozzie said...

Anela, we've had the same sort of ant problem. The Food Source finally found a couple places that sell ant proof bowls and pedestals.

If those don't suit you for some reason, you can just put petroleum jelly (Vaseline or something similar) around the base of the bowls. A bit messy, but cheap, cheap, cheap.

The ants may starve to death (yeah, right) but at least you don't have to kill a couple thousand every morning.