Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Bucket List

We saw the movie "The Bucket List" starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson last night which got me to thinking about my OWN bucket list. My sense is anyone can make a Bucket List anytime--one doesn't need to be given a death sentence of 6 months by a doctor.

As Carlos Castaneda wrote in his books, death is always stalking each and every one of us, and so it's wise to be remember and be aware that at any moment, it could be your 'time'. Not all of us get the luxury of knowing when we're going to die, so crossing-off your bucket list while you're still alive and kicking seems like a smart move to me.

For those that don't know what the words 'Bucket List' mean, these derive from the old English phrase, "To Kick The Bucket" which means you die.

Making a bucket list is a lot like setting goals--goals which are heart-felt dreams that we've never gotten around to doing because a busy life or something else distracted or prevented us from doing them.

Here are a few of such dreams which have made it to my own bucket list:

1. Travel to Tahiti, Bora-Bora, and Morea
2. Build my dream home/sanctuary
3. Complete my book


And what is on YOUR bucket list?

4 comments:

Gen said...

Hopefully I wont need a Bucket list for some time but I have a list of goals already.
Complete my education from an AS/BS to a Masters to one day a PHD! Another goal is being free (debt free) and owning outright my own home which I love! Having a healthy family and having a cute and spunky art gallery for not only my own art but up n coming artists. Giving some of the money to organizations that funds the Arts ! One more thing being able to assist people with self confidence and train them to eat better and avoid processed foods and other bad eating habits! I guess my bucket list does not require much travel?

Deana said...

I had no idea what that meant or why a movie was named that...thank you for clarifying. One thing I would love to do is see real whales jumping out of the water, like in Alaska. With those big tails splashing, I don't know why that appeals to me so but I hope to see the whales in their natural environment one day.
I also would love a week in Tuscany.

starlily said...

I want to see that movie now! I like lists. This year I started a goal journal. Instead of making 'A Resolution', every time I think of something I'd like to accomplish, I write it down. My reasoning: well, I might not get all 500 done, but surely I can do 5 or 6... I've already accomplished a couple of my 'resolutions', and it's only the 3rd week of the new year! :) I think that the process of writing down goals is a kind of magic...

JC said...

My friend Gracie had a bucket list of like 20-30 things. She crossed everything off her list and was crying on her bed because she didn't know what to do next with her life. Two months later, she was killed by a drunk driver. She was 31 years old. So my question is: when you finish your bucket list, do you die? My bucket list was to get a graduate degree, travel to my parents homeland of Cuba, to know Jesus and to write a book. By June of this year, I will have accomplished all of them (minus the book but that will be in the works.). I am 31 years old. Am I just lucky to be fulfilled or am I dying?