Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Cats On Tuesday--Celebrity Cats

I've returned from my long journey several weeks ago, but it's taken me some time to catch-up again to my blog routine. One of the places I visited was the Hemingway Home in Key West Florida, and one of the funniest things was watching the celebrated Hemingway cats get photographed by tourists from all over the world, and the cats just kept sleeping and acting as if they didn't even notice!

Of course, these aren't the original cats owned by Hemingway, but the cat tradition lives on, and these celebrity cats are very well taken care of it seems. They even have their own cat houses in the backyard. The last photo is a painting of the original Hemingway cats on the wall of the old Hemingway House which you can tour.



" Ernest Hemingway was given a six-toed cat by a ship's captain and some of the cats who live on the museum grounds are descendants of that original cat. Key West is a small island and it is possible that many of the cats on the island are related. Our cats are not a particular breed, but appear to be a combination of various breeds-sort of "Heinz 57" if you will. They are all shapes, sizes, colors and personalities." This paragraph is from the website on Hemingway House where you can read all about the famous cats--sixty of them! Click here for the link.




10 comments:

Karen of Sillymonkeez said...

I wish I had my own house in the backyard!! LOL! That looks like a beautiful room. Thanks for sharing with us!

Dragonheart & Merlin said...

Very cool that you had a chance to meet these "famous" cats. :)

Gattina said...

I didn"t know that you are back ! Just discovered your entry in my Google Reader ! I hope you had nice holidays.
I have seen a reportage about the Hemmingway house and cats on TV. It's very interesting and cute too !

claudie said...

I really would want to see this reportage about Hemmingway Gattina speaks about! I 'd like to know these famous cats!

Kuanyin said...

Claudie: all you have to do to read about them is to click on the link I've written above which says click on the link!

Celeste said...

That would be a really neat place to visit.

Follow me on twitter?

Mom Unplugged said...

What an interesting visit that must have been. And what happy looking cats! My favorite Hemingway quote is "One cat just leads to another." It's on my blog since that seems to be the case in my life!

(Sorry I am so late stopping by this week. Happy COT!)

Gen said...

too cool!

Anonymous said...

Good to know you visited the cats while in the keys.Lovely place.I visited Key West many years ago.A man was on the docks doing a cat trick show,the cats were so trusting of him.I spoke with you on Sat.talking about Anela acting up. I think she was feeling the earthquake... duh... Matthias has been going bonkers for the last few days as well,and he still is. I was outside investigating a cat that Matthias was growling at through the bedroom window,he seemed very friendly and rolled over and had alot to say, then he just reached up and scratched me! I am letting it be known watch out for cats" going wild "something really big is still on it's way.oh ...I get to go in to the petsmart for volunteering tomorrow,I hope I make it out alive!hugs and purrs Basha

Anonymous said...

Good to know you visited the cats while in the keys.Lovely place.I visited Key West many years ago.A man was on the docks doing a cat trick show,the cats were so trusting of him.I spoke with you on Sat.talking about Anela acting up. I think she was feeling the earthquake... duh... Matthias has been going bonkers for the last few days as well,and he still is. I was outside investigating a cat that Matthias was growling at through the bedroom window,he seemed very friendly and rolled over and had alot to say, then he just reached up and scratched me! I am letting it be known watch out for cats" going wild "something really big is still on it's way.oh ...I get to go in to the petsmart for volunteering tomorrow,I hope I make it out alive!hugs and purrs Basha